The Visual Arts Program at BA is designed to develop student talents and abilities at all levels while they learn the fundamentals of art, explore the elements and principles of design, and develop their artistic voices. We offer a wide array of mixed media including drawing, painting, printmaking, digital design, and photography, as well as three-dimensional opportunities in sculpture and ceramics.
Middle school artists have two types of art opportunities: Exploratories and Electives.
- All 6th and 8th-grade students will rotate through an Art Exploratory during the school year.
- 7th and 8th-grade students have an option to choose art as an elective course. The 7th grade Art Elective meets for one semester, while the 8th grade Art Elective meets for the entire school year.
- Middle school artists are exposed to a wide variety of projects, designed for personal success and to develop problem-solving skills while engaged in a creative curriculum. Each project includes an opportunity for self-reflection, giving the artists’ a place to organize intentions and ideas presented in their artwork.
The Brentwood Academy Visual Art department offers introductory art courses that emphasize mark-making, creative expression, and processes; as well as advanced courses that provide opportunities for students to further explore and develop talents and techniques in traditional art-making media. Students acquire skills and synthesis while learning to edit ideas, improve self-confidence and discipline as they explore and refine their craft.
Student artwork is displayed throughout the school during each year, with a large judged exhibit, Arts in April, each Spring, featuring the “best of the best” from our BA artists. Students also have opportunities to enter their work in local and national art exhibits and competitions.
Meet the Staff
- B.S. University of Maryland
- M.Ed. Lipscomb University
Fine Arts/Student Leadership
- B.S. Freed-Hardeman University
- M.A. Ed The Art of Education University