Tuition & Financial Aid
Financial Aid Deadlines
• PFS submitted to SSS sssbynais.org/parents
• Tax forms and schedules submitted to SSS
• W2’s and/or 1099’s submitted to SSS
Financial Aid letters are sent to families who have been approved for financial aid AND who have previously signed their enrollment contract and student/parent agreement.
Our Financial Aid Philosphy continued...
Brentwood Academy is committed to accepting students for admission from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds. Our Board of Trustees has a need-based financial aid policy that dictates a percentage of tuition budget to be used exclusively for financial aid. At Brentwood Academy, we believe that an independent school education is first and foremost a commitment and responsibility of the parents. Need-based aid is defined as the difference between what it costs to attend Brentwood Academy and a family's ability to pay. While we attempt to meet a percentage of need, no child receives full tuition.
For the 2019-20 school year, we awarded $2.7 million dollars in need-based aid, and 32% of our students receive financial aid. Our average award is currently $12,200. While we are generously funded for financial aid, we do not have the ability to award need-based financial aid to every family who qualifies. The Financial Aid Committee strives to maintain a diverse community of students and looks for evidence of a family’s strong commitment to a Brentwood Academy education.
Need-based financial aid is awarded annually, and renewal is not automatic or guaranteed as funds may vary and the family’s finances may change. Therefore, families are required to submit applications annually. Many factors determine whether or not a family will qualify for need-based aid. Factors such as household income and expenses, assets and debt, and the number of children in a school that requires tuition are all considerations in determining financial aid awards.
Tuition for the 2020-2021 academic year for grades 6-12 is $27,930 and includes:
- Technology expenses
- Use of in-classroom computers/iPads
- Spiritual life retreats
- Science lab expenses
- Achievement testing
- Required day trips and field trips
- Student admission to all on-campus activities, plays*, concerts, and athletic events
* $3.00 convenience fee charged for processing on-line tickets
Steps to Applying for Financial Aid
Brentwood Academy offers need-based financial aid to children who qualify and who HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED AS A STUDENT. Admission and Financial Aid applications may be filled out simultaneously; however, only those who are accepted will receive financial aid award letters.
We partner with School and Student Services (SSS) in the financial aid process. To begin your financial aid application, please visit the SSS website.
- Beginning October 2, 2019, go to sssbynais.org/parents.
- Create your online account or, if you are a returning family, log in with your account information that you previously set up. Brentwood Academy's school code for SSS is 1816.
- Begin a PFS for academic year 2020-21. You can log out of the PFS at any time and return later to complete it.
- Once your PFS is submitted, you will pay a fee of $51.
- After you pay for and submit your PFS, you will have access to a section named "My Documents." You can upload the additional documents there.
Once you have completed the PFS and submitted the required documents, SSS will submit a dollar figure to Brentwood Academy recommending an amount the parents are able to contribute to their child’s education. The Brentwood Academy Financial Aid Committee makes its recommendation based upon this figure. The Financial Aid Committee will determine the amount given to each qualified applicant. Each applicant will be notified in writing of the decision regarding his/her specific request. Any student who receives financial aid must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and contribute wholeheartedly to the mission of Brentwood Academy. All financial aid awards are re-evaluated annually. School and Student Services (SSS)
Tuition Payment Plans
A non-refundable enrollment deposit of $750 is due annually with the signed enrollment contract. The enrollment contract is binding on May 1 of each year. For students on need-based financial aid, the amount of the deposit may be spread over the tuition plan, if requested. For returning students, the deposit and contract are due February 1. For newly admitted students, the contract and deposit are due March 6.
Brentwood Academy offers three payment plan options:
- single payment of tuition
- biannual payments
- ten monthly payments
All tuition payments should be paid to the business office when due. Additional policies include the following:
- Consideration for financial aid will only be given for those with accounts that are current.
- Brentwood Academy will withhold student grade reports, transcripts, diplomas, and/or recommendations if tuition is not current.
- Brentwood Academy reserves the right not to allow a student to register, attend class, and/or take exams if the account is in arrears.
Financial Aid Checklist
- Complete PFS on-line at the SSS website prior to February 1. (sssbynais.org/parents).
- Upload current year 1040 tax forms, w-2’s and schedules (if applicable).
- Upload farm or business tax forms (if applicable).
- Complete student contract and student /parent agreement online (the contract is NOT binding until you have been notified in writing and signed the financial aid award).
- Once the financial aid award has been mailed to you, student and parent must sign the award and return it to the admission/financial aid office.
Planning for Private School Education
TrustCore Partner Cliff Taylor '03 offers a helpful blog on how to approach private school education funding.Read More